Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rosellas

I've just made some rosella jam. It would have to be my favourite jam as it's a nice mix of sweet and tart and it is also a lovely colour. I always grow rosellas and I suppose it's made easier by the fact that they grow very easily from seed - usually self sown. The first plant I planted was from some seeds that my Aunty Anne gave me (actually I think she gave them to Mum and I got some) and I haven't had to plant again. That would have to have been about 4 years ago when I first started my garden here.

Rosellas are an unusual plant - a type of hibiscus, and although not native to Australia, we have made them our own. The fruit is also supposed to aid in hypertension, so with jam that is delicious and the chance to reduce blood pressure, why wouldn't you grow them?  There isn't much better than rosella jam and cream on scones, bread or even toast - YUM! I've put my recipe on the recipe tab. The hardest thing about making this jam is the time it takes to peel the petals off the seed - although it's made easier if done while enjoying a glass of wine at the end of a day!!
Rosella Jam

No comments:

Post a Comment