Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Is a Thermomix really that good?

I've known a few people that have had a thermomix and they go on about how good they are and I think "can they really be that good?" I wondered whether they were justifying in their own minds the expenditure. And they are very expensive! Well, so far, I'm a convert! It is an amazing machine. I haven't been too adventurous yet, but am slowly working my way throught the recipe book that came with it. As well as converting some of my own! I really like the fact that it makes cooking from scratch a lot easier - it makes "slow food" fast food! Some of the things I've done and like:

  • Mashed potatoes - cooked in milk and then mashed so smooth and creamy. You can cook them while the greens get steamed above it, but I'm still trying to work out how to get the greens to actually cook, instead of just heat up - any tips are welcome!
  • Flourless chocolate cake is YUM - grinding the almonds to a meal first means not having to buy ground almonds - that would have to save money surely!
  • Butter - making fresh butter from cream is simple - not sure whether it's better butter than in my standing mixer, but a lot easier and less messy! Having my own cream to make butter makes it even better!
  • Jam - I've made a few small batches, which is a great way to make use of fruit when it's in season and cheap - a great way to make organic jam.
  • Relishs - once again it's easy to make a small batch.
  • Palm sugar syrup - I love this - it's a great inexpensive alternative to Maple syrup. I use the method from here http://yummysupper.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/palm-sugar-sypup.html (sorry don't know how to do fancy widget things!!) Grating the palm sugar blocks is simple in the thermomix - then add the water and cook - all in the Thermomix.
  • Grinding wheat to make bread - it would be a pain to do everytime, but it's really nice - I was lucky enough to get given some chemical free wheat by a local a couple of years ago and it's been in my freezer waiting for me to buy a grain mill!
  • Smoothies, slushies, quick frozen mango and yoghurt icecream
  • Grating cheese, chocolate, citrus rind
  • Cakes, biscuits etc!
  • Cooking rice
  • Polenta - it makes it so easy!
  • Custard, mayonaise, icecream.......
  • I've also been told that you only need to buy whole spices, as you can grind and toast them in it! Will get around to that one!
It really is a most versatile machine and if anyone wants to add some things to do, that would be great. And yes, it really is THAT good!

No comments:

Post a Comment