Monday, April 25, 2011

Meat

I've just been reading another blog and the subject was meat-less meals. I haven't done this yet, but I really don't think I need as much meat as I used to. ( I'm talking dinner time meals here). I keep saying that I'm going to have a try, but when you have your own meat, when you have never gone without meat/animal protein for the main meal, psychologically it's really hard to do. Also I think if you don't have meat, you need to have some sort of lentils or beans. I'm not organised enough to prepare them ahead of time. I do use tinned ones sometimes, but I really prefer to soak and cook my own legumes.

We have cut back on the amount of meat we eat, because we just don't need it. I think that's why I'm even considering trying a meatless meal sometime. I think the reason for this is because the meat we eat is either home grown or organic. This type of meat is more nutrient dense and therefore you just don't NEED to eat lots of it. So if you can't grow your own, the next best thing (as I've mentioned before) is to get to know a farmer and buy direct. Even if you only buy a quarter or half a beast, it will still be cheaper (by the kg) than if you were to buy it from the Butcher of the Supermarket.

If the farmer you appoach says he can't do it, suggest that if he gets it slaughtered and butchered in registered facilities, there isn't any problem. Most regional areas have slaughter yards and butchers that will do this. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment