Friday, June 26, 2015

Dinner Tonight.....Chicken Tonight!

Dinner tonight was supposed to be a bit of a fancy affair, as one of our French Backpackers had French Champagne and Foie Gras and the other had French red wine and some rillette to sample. Their mums sent a care package and we were to benefit, but alas, one of the girls (Marie) has caught the dreaded lurgy from me and is not well enough. I had already planned dinner so we had that anyway, and it was pretty tasty!

Ducken - you may have heard of Turducken, which is Turkey, Duck, Chicken all boned out and rolled. Well, I didn't include the turkey......I boned out a duck and a chicken and did a lovely job (even if I do say so myself) of it and both were perfectly boned out. I chose to do the duck on the outside so we could get all the yummy fat that is just under the skin. I took the chicken meat off the skin and separated the breasts from the rest of the meat. With this meat, I minced it in Thermie, mixed in an onion and 4 cloves of garlic, 1 egg and salt, pepper and rosemary.

So we have the duck boned out and lying flat, then the chicken mince mixture and then I laid the breasts in the middle. I then collect the edge bits and "sewed" them together with kebab sticks - this is where a very large needle and baking twine would work really well. I then tied the entire roll with the twine. It cooked perfectly in about 2 hours and made the best tasting gravy I've had in a long time!

This is a terrible photo, but I forgot!!! I am not a very good food blogger - I'm more interested in eating than taking good photos.

You really can't see the layers very well in this photo, but the middle bits of the roll were perfect and fantastic! 

We need to get busy and process some more poultry, as this is a our last duck and I think we only have one more chicken in the freezer. Tomorrow night will be collecting night - we have to go out just on dark and see where all the roosters are roosting and then start collecting them.


No comments:

Post a Comment